Friday, May 5, 2017

Saying Goodbye to Ms. Davey

Think about the first time you’ve done something. I’ve had many firsts in my life. One in particular I currently am remembering is when I jumped off of the diving board at age six. I was at a swimming lesson, and the instructor said we were going off of the diving board. I was petrified of heights. Granted, this was the low diving board, but nonetheless, I was petrified. I hung out towards the back of the line, hoping we would run out of time or that I could hide behind some of the other kids. I finally got to the front of the line and slowly made my way to the edge of the board. The swim instructor was treading water in the pool, waiting to help me. “Come on, Kelly,” she said. “You can do this!” I shook my head and then finally decided to jump. Yet, when I jumped off the board, I second guessed myself and tried to grab back onto the board. Instead, I missed, and the edge of the diving board scraped my entire forearm from elbow to wrist. Blood was in the pool; they had to clear it until they cleaned everything. Clearly, this was not a “first” I am proud of, yet it does make for a funny story to tell today. Not everyone can say they shut down the pool by going off the diving board.


I have many other disastrous firsts; most of the time when we do something for the first time, we are not very good. We struggle or we second guess ourselves. Yet, I experienced a first recently--or rather, I watched someone else experience a first recently that made me realize that not all “firsts” end with a deep cut down one’s arm. Not all firsts are created equal. Ms. Davey’s first teaching experience--teaching all of you--was anything but disastrous. Ms. Davey, I remember looking at who you were on paper. I was given your application to student teach that included an essay of your teaching philosophy, and I said out loud that I already liked you on paper. Whoever was in the room with me rolled their eyes. How can you like someone just by reading about them? Yet, I knew from the start that you were going to amaze me, and you did nothing shy of that.


You see, you were the first student teacher I’ve had who didn’t really need my guidance. Yes, I gave it to you, but quite honestly, you were ready to do this from the start. Your creative classroom activities that are completely student-centered are everything that I try to implement in  my own classroom. I love my classroom for its tables and how it provides students opportunities for collaboration. You recognized this and continued to create engaging lessons for my classes. I never believed that a student teacher would feel comfortable teaching Theory of Knowledge, yet from the start, this class was as natural for you to teach as the grass is green. You picked up a curriculum that you had no formal training in and knew nothing about and asked meaningful questions and provided plenty of critical thinking opportunities.


Yet what I have learned most from you--yes, I have learned from you more than you realize just by sitting in the back of the room and soaking in your aura--what I’ve admired the most is your rapport with my students. From the start when we were doing IOCs in English class, you sat with each student individually as they were prepping. You started engaging in conversations with them and calmed them before an assessment most were nervous to do. You didn’t choose favorites, which I see so many teachers do. Rather, you spoke with every student--and you do that every single day. Your sense of humor and sarcasm have enabled our students to form a bond with you that is to say the least, pretty special.


So yes, you have defied my idea of how the first time we do most things is rather disastrous. You are a born teacher. Your first time doing this simply was remarkable. You are the type of person I am proud to call my colleague. I had a hard time in January knowing I would spend three months not teaching my English classes. I adore teaching; I love my classroom. It is one of my favorite places to be. So, for me to sit in the hallway and give that up was certainly a struggle. Yet, what I realized is how much my students have grown under your teaching. Thank you for inspiring them, for motivating them, for getting some of the quietest kids to find their voice in my classroom. Thank you for helping me to continuously see why I became a teacher in the first place. It’s all about the students for you; I feel the same way and have loved finding a teacher who shares the same beliefs in teaching that I do.


You are going to do amazing things in your teaching career. You already have. So, as you make your way down the diving board and get ready to plunge into the pool of your first year of teaching, know that you are more than ready. Somehow, I don’t see you second guessing yourself and reaching back for that diving board. For, your first time teaching has been nothing shy of remarkable.






No comments:

Post a Comment