Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Who's Coming With Me?

     When I was in my first years of teaching, a parent came into my classroom for a parent/teacher conference and requested what seemed to me to be the impossible. The student was doing poorly in my class despite the fact that he was rather intelligent. Before I could talk about her son's academic performance in that conference, the mom looked me in the eye and said, "I need you to help me get my son off drugs." Sadly, I've been teaching too long to remember what I said to that parent, and I don't know if her son ever stopped using drugs. I do remember stammering through a response, I remember the parent crying, and I remember questioning that night if I had gotten into the right profession. I was practically a kid myself--twenty-two years old teaching seventeen year-olds. But even now with twenty-two more years of experience, I know I would struggle with that conversation even though I probably have more knowledge and expertise on how to answer it. For twenty-two years, I feel I have worked to make things that are seemingly impossible, possible.

I have been a book dealer--selling books every year to kids who have no desire to read them.

I have been a counselor--trying to dry the tears of a troubled teen because of a broken relationship or because of their latest math grade, or sadly, because of the tragic death of a classmate.

I've dealt with plagiarism, cheating, peer pressure, and bullying--sometimes all in the same class block.

Sometimes, I wake up in the middle of the night with a lesson plan idea or the solution to one of my student's problems. I find myself constantly thinking about my students and my classroom.

I have toed the line, hoping that a parent won't question my choice of literary text or the grade their child earned.

Because of the courses I teach, I have had deep conversations about racism and class and politics and the way we think. Not everyone even has these conversations as adults. I've had them with seventeen and eighteen year-olds.

I have learned the art of a selfie (sort of), chartered through the preference of using an emoji over words, explored TikTok, and listened to rap music because my students value those things.

I have written hundreds of letters of recommendation, trying to find the perfect words to describe my students to the colleges of their choice.

After twenty-two years, I have corrected more grammar errors than I'd like. I have graded thousands of essays; I have read enough literary analysis--both good and bad--to satisfy me for a lifetime. Yet, I'm still standing. (Elton John would be proud).

I have eaten lunch with students in my classroom because they don't want to deal with the social pressures of the cafeteria.

I give a presentation every single day, not worrying about public opinion. I performed a TikTok dance on stage at school and definitely worried about public opinion.

I've witnessed moments where I thought I'd never regain control of the room, wondering if I really did have control in the first place.

I've watched my students become teachers themselves.

I've smiled with tears in my eyes, as my students marched proudly across the stage at graduation, receiving that piece of paper that signifies thirteen years of learning and so much more.

I've seen students who hated to read find the right book; I've witnessed the weakest of writers finally find their words.

I've returned emails and texts over Remind late at night when I knew my students desperately needed an answer right at that moment.

I've opened my classroom early in the morning and stayed late into the afternoon because that one kid needed to talk or required more help.

I've been a cheerleader and a disciplinarian all in the same breath.

I've settled disputes, judged mock trials, helped with promposals, and picked out prom dresses. I've given advice on where my students should go for dinner before prom--in case you're wondering, never a chain.

I wear my emotions on my sleeve; I've cried in front of my students.

And I've laughed--Every. Single. Day.

     Anyone who is a teacher has had these experiences. They might not look the same as mine, but nevertheless, they've experienced the feelings these moments create. That's the beauty of teaching. I know there's been a lot of debate over how teachers feel about returning to school as of late. I'm not trying to advocate my opinion here (and believe me, I do have one); instead, I write this to remind others of just how powerful and beautiful this profession can be. I write this to remind people that this year is going to be hard on teachers, but let's face it; teaching is not easy. I write this to celebrate my profession because to me it is far more than a profession. It is a way of living. So no matter where I'll be teaching this school year--virtually or face to face--I'm still that teacher who is forever inspired by her students and who will work tirelessly to help them grow and learn. I'm still that teacher who loves what she does. I'm still that teacher who wants to make the impossible possible. That's what I vow to do this year--whether it be getting classes through virtual scenarios that just don't feel right or whether it be face to face with my students, hoping Covid-19 doesn't take over my classroom that really doesn't look and feel like my classroom, I know we can do this. Teachers, we can make the impossible possible.

     One of my favorite movie scenes is from the film Jerry Maguire. In the scene Jerry (Tom Cruise) is fired from his high paying job after writing a mission statement on the unethical nature of his profession as a sports agent. He holds a Ziploc bag with a goldfish in the air, yelling, "Who's coming with me? Who's coming with me?" to the entire office of onlookers.

I would imagine that moment was vulnerable for him, as this one feels for me right now. If you are a teacher, let's remember why we got into this profession in the first place. Let's remember the young child or teenager we once were. We needed our teachers to mold and change and help us grow. Likewise, our students need us. And more than ever, we need each other. This year, we can be the change. We can make the impossible possible.

Who's coming with me?

31 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading and for teaching my girls! You always put them first and saw the best in them. I'm so grateful for you!

      Delete
    2. Solid work here! I'm taking 2020 one day at a time in my classroom, whether it's virtual or not.

      Delete
    3. Thanks! I need to keep remembering one day at a time!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Your students are so lucky to have you!

      Delete
  3. Love this Kelly! I could imagine students faces in my head who I have had the same conversations with. The only thing you left out are the weddings you have attended as well of students. Miss you!! I pray this year goes well for you ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How I love the weddings and how I miss teaching with you! Have a great year with your students! They are so lucky to have you as their school counselor!

      Delete
  4. Goosebumps this time, Kelly! I’m coming with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for always supporting me! Your students are going to do amazing things this year because of YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are truly amazing, a blessing and a positive force in the odd world that we are in right now. Your past, present and future students are so fortunate that you were, are and will be a part of their education and life. Kathryn learned so much from you! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I loved teaching both Kathryn and Andrew!

      Delete
  7. This is a must-read for every teacher right now. Kelly, you inspire students and teachers in so many ways. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! Your students are so lucky to learn from YOU!

      Delete
  8. Kelli, you do not know me. I am the mom of Michelle Weeks. I have heard wonderful things about you. I taught English ( senior English most of the time) and am now retired. I am thankful that Ruthie was privileged to learn from you. Your beautifully written words have taken me down memory lane. Thank you. I pray you will have the best of years this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for teaching English and for reading my blog! You have an amazing daughter and granddaughter!

      Delete
  9. Kelly, this is beautifully written. Thank you for sharing. I am with you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Kelly, it came up as unknown... this is Kathleen Holmes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading! Anyone who is in your art classroom certainly is lucky!

      Delete
  11. Nicely said and beautifully written! You’re an amazing educator, Kelly, and I’ve loved sharing this career with you even from two different schools.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so grateful to have lifelong friends in education! Your students are better people because they have you as a teacher!

      Delete
  12. Kelli, I was one of those students teachers like you,Michelle and Georgia helped see the light . Thanks for being who you are ,and continue too become. Ruthie's Pa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And know how much I loved teaching your granddaughter!

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Thanks, Paula! I KNOW you make such a difference in the lives of your students!

      Delete
  14. Count me in! I'll be right there with you, seeking ways to keep our teachers motivated, valued and strong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm going to miss not being a part of PCES, but I'm grateful for your leadership and all the teachers there who have changed my children for the better!

      Delete
  15. You’ve managed to capture all that teaching is in this post. Your compassion and optimism is contagious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I especially thank you for always inspiring me by the kind of teacher you are!

      Delete