Sunday, April 2, 2017

Life's About Reaction


There are some people in life who always are easy targets: it’s easy to make fun of them, and they know how to take it, perhaps because the teasing happens so frequently that they’ve developed a tough outer shell. For most of my life, I have been one of those people. I am affectionately teased on a daily basis by my friends, my students, and even my family.


When I was in high school, I was in the play Oliver!  where I had to speak in a British accent. Accents tend to come easy for me. I can slip right back into a New York accent and actually can talk like a munchkin from The Wizard of Oz. Yet, when I attempted the British accent in that play, for the life of me, I couldn’t get it.  I remember the director mercilessly teasing me for my “southern” British accent. Perhaps this was foreshadowing my descent to the South where I went away to college. Regardless, I was teased throughout the duration of that play.

My friends often tease me for doing too much. Yet what they don’t realize is why I do all that I do. There is a greater reason there. But this isn’t about that reason.


Most recently, I have been teased for my affinity for Eric Clapton as a musician. Yet, while many are quick to judge my musical taste, no one knows that the song “Tears in Heaven” got me through a very hard time in my life. This isn’t about that hard time, either.


I’ve been teased for being a rules follower, not liking spicy food, and for hating emojis. We are debasing our written intelligence every time we use emojis, by the way. I’ve been teased for caring too much, working too hard, and driving a minivan. Again, I have reasons for all of those things, but that’s not what this is about.


So what is this about? This isn’t about being bullied or made fun of or even affectionately teased. It’s about reaction. It’s about how you react to the situations you encounter in life.


This past week, I was reminded of this idea of reaction as a student so eloquently stated: “Life’s all about reaction. You know that. Get knocked down 9 times. Stand up 10.” His words were actually based off of a Japanese proverb: “Fall down seven times, stand up eight.”
This week I was reminded to stand up in times of adversity. And I watch all of you stand up in light of adversity as well--many on a daily basis. I’ve come to the conclusion that I don’t like the word disability. Everyone has some kind of hardship they face; some are just more obvious than others. In life, it’s how you react--how you face adversity--that truly matters.


One of the things I like most about teaching teenagers is the way you handle difficult situations. More people should take note of how you deal with things and perhaps there wouldn’t be so much stress, drama, and hardship in our lives. You see, you are some of the most optimistic people I know.  You have grit, perseverance, and a resilience that most adults I know do not possess. You don’t let your work get you down. You complete multiple assignments a week--including IAs and tests with grace under pressure. You’re expected to do community service at a whim’s notice and simultaneously earn good grades and participate in an excess of extracurricular activities--all the while spending time with your family and friends.


This month, I’ve watched you work hard at many things in my classroom:
 Seniors working on website #Calebstrong.












Juniors working on their extended essay for Theory of Knowledge at Randolph Macon College



IB Junior English final projects for Macbeth. 





Ultimately, resilience is an important quality that I think many adults lose for whatever reason as they grow older. The “they’re-young-they’ll-bounce-back” persona they once had deteriorates perhaps because they’ve hardened by the world’s occurrences, perhaps because they are tired of bouncing back, or perhaps they just change as people. Regardless, it took the words of one of my students this month along with the actions of all of you for me to realize the power of perseverance in my life.

As I said earlier, I’m an easy target. I like to think I do have a tough outer shell, yet, this past week, I grew rather doubtful of that hardened exterior. What I’ve learned this week is not to worry about people’s words or actions breaking me. One small crack isn’t going to matter. It doesn’t mean I'm broken, just that I faced a tough situation and didn’t fall apart. I learned this by watching all of you continue to persevere despite the hardships you face. So, I hope I still am teased for my Eric-Clapton-loving, emoji-hating, minivan-driving, rules-following ways. I’ll still be standing no matter what, and when some big adversity comes my way, all of that teasing will have prepared me for how to react. After all, life’s about reaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment